Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Update

Once again, I feel I should apologize for the lateness of this update. I've had a rough run the past couple of weeks...we bumped my pain meds a couple of weeks ago, to a level that left me in something of a fog much of the time. I've been able to cut back a bit the past few days, which has helped considerably. There's some hope I'll be able to cut back still more soon...but I'm going to wait on that.

What is there to wait on? Well, tomorrow I start radiation treatment on two of my tumors -- the one on my right hand side that's been responsible for much of my pain, and one of the ones in my right lung. I'd hope that perhaps I'll be able to see some difference in that tumor on my side before pushing my pain meds back a bit more.

I had my last round of chemo just over one week ago (February 4). My next would be scheduled for February 25, but this may be delayed till we've finished my radiation -- I am scheduled for 10 cycles of radiation, every day over the next 2 weeks (skipping Saturday and Sunday). If this is the case, we may just wait until I've made my move -- I've decided that the time has come to return home, to be among family and friends, and have my treatment supervised by Dr. Mulcahy at Northwestern. The folks here in Knoxville, as we've long noted, have simply run out of ideas...we can hope that Dr. Mulcahy might have a few more tricks up her sleeve. I'll be making the move those last few days of February/start of March.

On the whole, I suppose I'm feeling alright. I struggle mentally quite a bit...they say that enough chemo can induce a bit of depression, and I may have hit that point. I hope being among family and friends can be a nice salve there. Physically, I still don't notice any real changes in my major organ functions -- nothing to note that my liver might be struggling due to the tumors there. So long as this is the case, I suppose we've still got a shot.

As usual, your prayers and support are welcomed, and very much appreciated.

No comments: