Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Back to work!

After some late morning debating -- do I or do I not head back in today? -- I sucked it up and re-entered the work-force today. Over the coming weeks, I am allowed to work 2 or 3 days per week, up to 4 hours per day...so much as I can handle, really. Though in practice, this will amount to one full day of work per week, as I will be at the mercy of him from whom I can secure a ride, I should also be able to work in limited doses from home, developing control software for a device we've been constructing over the months since I've been here.

I can say that, though at the moment I am fairly fogged in the head from exhaustion, I am glad that I made the call to return to work. It's been nice to have a full day's distraction from the usual concerns of chemo and cancer. I have to believe that any boost in my mental health can only be a positive when it comes to my physical health as well.

Speaking of...we are now nearly 1 week removed from my second cycle of the carboplatin/taxol combo. And I can say, given the usual caveats about the crudeness of the "measurements", that it certainly appears the treatment continues to work. I have a tumor in my right lung, towards the bottom, which is noticeably smaller to the touch. Further, I have not had to use my "bolus" button to increase my pain medication so frequently today as I had the previous several days.

Next treatment is scheduled for January 2...this may be pushed back a day or three, depending on just how and when I get back to Knoxville after spending Christmas in Chicago with the family. I'll certainly try to get back on time to stay on schedule...but we'll have to see.

No comments: