Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Another modest update, 11/13/2007

I spoke today with Dr. Grapski, my local medical oncologist. I'm starting chemo on Thursday -- back to the carboplatin/taxol combo that I'd been pushing for. Seems Dr. Grapski is not so worried about conflicts between this chemo regimen and the radiation, so we'll go ahead and finish off the radiation through Monday, too. As far as I'm concerned, that's fine -- it does seem the radiation is finally doing something, so the more we can throw at these guys, the better. Depending on how things go, perhaps we go ahead and zap the side tumor with radiation when I get back to town after Thanksgiving. That'll be something to talk to Dr. Meyer (the local radiation oncologist) about tomorrow.

So why the sudden agreement to do chemo and radiation at the same time? Well, he was thinking of putting me on a different chemo regimen. It was a little aggravating...though I should cut him a little slack...but he was going to suggest I start irinotecan/erbitux. Which I took from last August through April. Cutting him some slack, at no point did I take that here, so I can understand if he'd overlooked it. For all of my moves, I have to stay on top of these things, and can't count on my doctor to be as much on top of them as I am. The problem with irinotecan/erbitux with radiation is that both can induce big diarrhea issues, and he didn't want to double up on that possibility (especially given the problems with dehydration I'd had before). It's less an issue with the carbo/taxol.

I'm relieved. As always, when we get started on something new (or start something again), it's a time of excitement and optimism. Here's hoping that the combo of chemo and radiation beat back the tumors and my pain, and open the door for treating the liver by itself, by other means.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still prayin' for you, buddy.

Jennifer Spitznagel said...

Gold Is Not A Good Investment. It's just that I have realized that gold is not a good "investment". And that is so. bullion and central banks in their attempts to make gold look like trash for the time. OSK UOB Gold and General Fund Daily Express Newspaper Online. Kuala Lumpur: OSK UOB Investment Management Bhd has declared a distribution of 5.6920 sen per unit for its OSK UOB Gold and General. NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA. Where To Buy Gold Bullion Don't Be Robbed Blind. Where to buy gold bullion The best kept secret in gold buying exposed?Don't Be Scammed?