Thursday, November 8, 2007

What I'm reading

For the longest time, my reading list has consisted primarily of classic literature (Dostoevsky, etc.), classics in Catholic or Christian thought (St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Terese of Lisieux, etc.), or classics in Philosophy (Plato, Thomas Aquinas). Contemporary stuff, or anything "light", rarely made my list. I wanted to lighten up a bit, so I asked my brother to lend me a stack of his books from the Star Wars collection -- stories of characters from the movies (or not) within the Star Wars Universe, but not necessarily directly connected to any of the movies.

I've really been enjoying them -- and am finding I can make them as "heavy" as I want, which is fun. Understanding where the authors take the Philosophy behind the Force, for example, has been neat. From the books I've read, it's not so much a battle of "good vs. evil" as it is a battle of two sides of a "pragmatic" coin. Now, I can't say as I'm all that familiar with contemporary "pragmatic" philosophy, but I imagine it might be represented in a popularized way here. Those who follow the Dark Side, for example, are driven by selfish power -- one is happy the more power one possesses and the more control one wields over others. Happiness here might be the wrong word, since one who follows the Dark Side must always look over his shoulder for another who might take away his power. Those who follow the Light Side believe that happiness is found when others also are made happy -- if I live the virtuous life and encourage others to do the same, then all are happy, myself above all. I use my power for the good of others, for "selfish" gain in-so-far as the good of others is also my own. Neither side is driven by an absolute idea of "good" or "evil", but by their pragmatic understanding of what will make them happy.

I've lately wondered about how such a philosophy of ethics would be developed -- groundless except by the collective life experiences of myself and others. I suppose it's out there...perhaps some day I'll find it and read it. One I'm ready to be "heavy" again.

No comments: