Saturday, November 3, 2007

Update, 11/3/2007

I didn't really expect to provide an update any time soon. At least, not till I had something bigger to share. However, I was prodded for an update by a friend, and it occurs to me that even in the absence of big news, the regular update on how I'm feeling would probably be welcomed by many. So, here's what I shared with my friend:

I'm still not able to get back to work, as I'm still in a lot of pain -- it hasn't eased yet with the radiation. This was to be expected. At least, they told me it would be at least 2 weeks before I'd feel anything. We're just at the 2 week mark...so hopefully, soon.


Finances and benefits are in good shape. I'm on short-term disability through work -- it's not a federal program, but part of my work benefits package. It's pretty nice -- I'm paid at my full salary for 5 weeks if needed, at 80% for another 5 weeks, then at 60% for 10. If I can manage to fit in another 2 weeks of work in there, I actually earn another week for each of the 1st 2 stages, another 4 for the 3rd stage -- the full benefit kicks in when you've worked at the lab for 6 months...I'd been there 5.5 before taking off.

I really can't say just when I'll be back to work, though I hope it's soon after Thanksgiving. It really depends on what we decide to do next in my treatment, which will be determined when I see Dr. Mulcahy at Northwestern, scheduled now for the Wednesday after Thanksgiving.

It's tough. While we're treating just the 2 tumors that are the likely sources of pain in my leg and tail-bone, I can almost feel the tumors growing elsewhere in my abdomen...in my side, and in my front along the vertical incision from my surgeries. I hate waiting to treat those, but there's no real choice -- though perhaps one of them (the one on my right side) could be added to those we currently treat with radiation. I'll be bringing that up with my radiation oncologist this week.

Thanks to all for your continued concern. I'll try and keep a weekly update on how I'm doing/feeling -- it's probably good for me to keep up running reflections, and I appreciate the concern so many of you hold for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, my friend. You are in my prayers. Love ya mucho! Thanks for the continued updates.

Dennis said...

Thanks, Laur. You and yours -- especially the 2 little guys! -- are in mine as well.