Monday, November 12, 2007

Fantasy football!

We come to the end of another glorious week of NFL football -- God's favorite sport -- with Monkey Knife Fight continuing to ride what is now a 5-game winning streak, victorious this week over the St. Pete Pinheads 103 - 76. MKF now sits comfortably at 6 - 4, in second place in the Autobots division of The Great Pigskin Experiment, with a match-up against the first place Sunrise Stingers looming. With byes now complete, we will see what our full-strength squad is made of.

You'll notice that at the start of the year, I would begin my updates with the tails of triumph of Rodent Passion. This was for two reasons: first, I have a greater emotional investment in RP, they being my "dynasty" team, the players on which I keep from year-to-year. Second, RP started quite strong, and I find I like talking about my successes before talking about the failures. I would never have figured myself for such a person -- I've usually been a "eat my veggies first" kind of guy...as a kid, I would eat around the icing on a piece of birthday cake, enjoying several bites of NOTHING BUT ICING at the end. Tasty. I've been a delayed-gratification guy by nature. And yet, I ramble about my fantasy football success before my struggles...why is this? I haven't noticed the same pattern in my health updates...I'll have to take a look and see...

All of which stands as prologue to RP's performance this week. Which is actually still in question -- as I write, RP stands with a modest 66 - 60 lead over The Headhunters, who still have Bobby Engram to play for the Seattle Seahawks in tonight's match-up versus San Francisco. If Engram is kept to fewer than 60 yards and no TDs (a 50/50 or worse proposition), RP rights the ship in time for the full recovery of its players and the end of the dreaded bye-weeks -- just in time to make a late run for the play-offs. Last weekend, we consummated a trade of Andre Johnson for Clinton Portis with Corporeal Punishment, which should strengthen our running attack though leaving us vulnerable at WR, should Roy Williams, Anquan Boldin, or Deion Branch suffer yet another slump or late injury.

Edit (post-MNF game): Bobby Engram was held to 53 yards, meaning RP defeats The Headhunters by a final of 66 - 65. Woo hoo!

I am confident that in MKF I have one of the top three teams in The Great Pigskin Experiment, and have a strong chance of finishing in the money. In RP, I have a team that could finish in the "toilet bowl", struggling to avoid the responsibility to provide tasty beverages for next season's draft party, as easily as it could finish in the money. The fun begins now!

No comments: