Thursday, August 23, 2007

First cycle down...

On Wednesday I took the last dose of my first cycle of Xeloda. I wish I could say something...anything...about if or how much it's working. But the nature of the business is that it takes time. The first obvious sign that things are working would be a decrease in my aches and pains...unfortunately, there's been none of that. No increases though, and since during the weeks leading up to beginning Xeloda my pain had been rising, I suppose we can take this as a modest positive.

I get a week off before seeing Dr. Grapski again next week. We'll probably start looking at my ca19-9 (my tumor markers) with some regularity, but it will take 2 measurements to have any kind of indications as to what's happening there. This will take, from today, 7 weeks, and by then I'll be about due for another CT scan. All of which is to say that the only "news" on the effectiveness of this treatment can come from an improvement in my pain. Here's hoping for the best there...

At the very least, this has to be the easiest chemo I've ever taken. I had some mild nausea over the past week, but it's been easily managed. Nothing even approaching what I've experienced on other regimens. I was told to watch for a reddening or blistering of the hands and feet -- something on the level of 2nd-degree burns at its worst -- which can be a common side effect of the Xeloda. Good news here -- I saw nothing like this. I suppose this is probably something to watch for as the treatment continues, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dennis,
good luck with the new treatment. Thoughts and prayers from over the ocean,

Marybeth

Tasha said...

Dennis, good luck with the new treatment. Thoughts and prayers from over the ocean, Marybeth