Sunday, November 4, 2007

Prayer of the day

Grant that I may know
what you require me to do.

Bestow upon me
the power to accomplish your will,
as is necessary and fitting
for the salvation of my soul.

This is the next stanza of the prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas For Ordering a Life Wisely, began here a few days ago. To ask of God what he requires of me has often been difficult. It seems I can be sure of what he requires of everyone, not just me -- that I pursue the life of goodness and virtue, striving to love as he gives example (in the giving of his life). I suppose these days, my particular task is easier to determine than it ever may have been -- that I carry my cancer well, that I allow my pain and suffering to change me, make me more understanding of the suffering of all, more giving with what I have (knowing that of what I have, I can claim no real "ownership" or "right" to it -- health, wealth, worldly happiness being so very fleeting). I trust that my salvation is being worked out primarily in how I handle myself through my cancer -- and not just how I handle my troubles, but how I respond to the troubles of others as I carry my own (God, grant that I never become so obsessed with my own struggles that I fail to see the troubles of my neighbor!).

St. Thomas gives us the key to carrying our responsibilities well -- which is that we ask strength from Him Who requires these things of us. He provides the opportunity for good, the strength to do it, and then rewards the doing. All good comes from Him, though we are invited to participate in His work.

No comments: