Friday, July 20, 2007

Quote for the day


My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.

From Mary's prayer of praise (the Magnificat), during her visit to see her cousin Elizabeth, then carrying the unborn John the Baptist in her womb. One suspects that she knew -- if not specifically, at least in a general way -- that her "yes" to God, her agreement ("let it be done to me according to your word") to carry and raise the salvation of the world -- would be a great struggle. She accepted such responsibility and considered it a favor -- knowing that faithfulness to God offers its own reward, though as yet unseen.

I don't claim to have the faith or courage of Mary, but I use this as my sig to remind myself of my ideal. I can, in more reflective moments, see my cancer as a "favor". Virtue is both brought into being and revealed through struggle. In my struggles with cancer, I can see a little more clearly just who I am, while I approach (God willing) what I wish to be.

No comments: