Saturday, January 12, 2008

Spe Salvi

And after all this time, I'm only starting with a few words on paragraph 1. Still, it's a loaded paragraph, which sets the table for the whole encyclical, so it's probably worth getting a few things straight from the start. One other thing before we get going: I won't claim to be any sort of expert theologian, and this won't be any sort of deep commentary. I just want to post my own thoughts on hope as inspired by much more profound thinkers than I.

So, about mid-way through paragraph 1, we get something like a definition from Benedict: "the present, even if it is arduous, can be lived and accepted if it leads towards a goal, if we can be sure of this goal, and if this goal is great enough to justify the effort of the journey." It seems there are two sorts of hope one can consider: a short term hope, and (as is the emphasis of the encyclical) an eternal hope. We put ourselves through any number of hardships -- college and grad school, bad relationships, dirty diapers, etc. -- in the hope that there will be a reward in the end -- career, happy marriage, happy and well adjusted children, etc.

The big questions come when one considers the second sort -- hope for eternity. This Benedict acknowledges right away: "what sort of hope could ever justify the statement that...we are redeemed? And what sort of certainty is involved here?" These are the big questions one faces when considering one's mortality -- to the extent that one is so blessed that death is not suddenly and unexpectedly visited upon oneself. Specifically, I want to read the rest of the encyclical somewhat selfishly. I want some answers myself, as to what sort of hope it is that I embrace, making the struggle with cancer worthwhile.

For now we continue with Augustine, trusting "the past to the mercy of God; the present to His love; the future to
His providence." More to come...

4 comments:

Steve said...

Doesn't really have anything to do with hope, but I thought I'd share Mary's message from Medjugorje this month. I thought it was nice:

“Dear children! With the time of Lent, you are approaching a time of grace. Your heart is like ploughed soil and it is ready to receive the fruit which will grow into what is good. You, little dhildren, are free to choose good or evil. Therefore, I call you to pray and fast. Plant joy and the fruit of joy will grow in your hearts for your good, and others will see it and receive it through your life. Renounce sin and choose eternal life. I am with you and intercede for you before my Son. Thank you for having responded to my call.”

Dennis said...

Thanks, Steve. Good thoughts, there. I'd hope to have something a bit meatier on the next pages of Spe Salve coming soon, in addition to a new health update. Too tired to write it out now, but we've got news from a latest CT scan, and have been tracking the blood markers and such...mixed bag of results.

Lawrence Gage said...

I just finished the encyclical a couple days ago, and was thinking of you while reading it.

I'm "hoping" to post on it soon on my own blog. Besides wanting to respond to Fr. Neuhaus's review, there's some good stuff on science and nature in it.

LG

Blum said...

If you have read this far, you know my opinion on people who wear these things as fashion accessories. That doesn't mean you have to be an expert but learn enough to understand what you are doing. Butt Lice picking is no joke, and one should be ready to lay on their belly for hours while the butt lice picking is occurring.