Thursday, October 30, 2008

Memorial Marker

Hi everyone,

I learned TODAY how to post to Dennis' blog. I am sooo not techy!

Just wanted to let you know that the marker was finally delivered and is in place.
It is red granite, has a rough edged top - because Dennis did go hiking, biking,
and other physical activities he enjoyed so much, not to mention the football
matches the day after Thanksgiving and New Years. He would say they would play until it got dark and then play a little longer. The next day of course, he'd be groaning about his aching body - BUT he had fun!

On the back of the marker it has a guitar on the left side. The inscription
reads as follows: Line 1 - "DR. D.", Line 2 - A MAN OF GOD AND SCIENCE
Line 3 - FAMILY AND FRIENDS, Line 4 - MUSIC AND THE WORLD.

I miss him so much. We all miss him so much. Thank you all for being a part of his life. You all are great!

God Bless You
Dennis' mom

6 comments:

Z said...

The marker sounds lovely.

There are many things that make me think of Dennis and I catch myself thinking: Oh, I should email Dennis about that.

Anonymous said...

I understand exactly. So many things were of interest to him. Things like Norah Jones favorite holiday is Halloween - I wanted to tell him that(he introduced me to Norah's music).

Steve said...

I stopped by the cemetary on the way home from the Bears game today. The marker is outsdanding. I was able to keep cool and calm as I appraised the fine selection you made. Then I walked around to the back...

It wasn't the first time I choked up today though.

The first play from scrimage had me tearing up - Mike Brown (or, as Dennis used to call him, MIKE EFFIN' BROWWWWN!!!) made a very nice interception and then ran it back for a touchdown. I couldn't help but think of Dennis, and how he used to say that Brown would be one of the best safeties in the league if he could just stay healthy. And he was right too.

Although the TD got called back, which was pretty emblematic of our Bears spectating experiences together, I still got to stand up and sing the Bears fight song 5 times today. I can still hear him next to me, clapping and singing, and yelling out "YOU'RE the pride and joy of Illinois..."

I also accused them of being big cheaters when they got called for penalties, and told them to go on back to Canada.

I sure do miss him.

:'(

Mrs.K said...

Have to agree with Z. I catch myself thinking the same thing... often. Of course, now I say a little prayer instead. I tend to think that pleases him, even if it is a little harder, more esoteric, for me.
Hey Steve, he may have loved the Bears then, but he plays for the Saints now. ;) Take heart, brother. He's still within earshot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for telling us about the marker. I'll go by there again soon.
Jenny

Renkman said...

Thanks for the update. I had wondered when Dennis' marker would be placed. I was in town for a couple of days in June, and I did my best to find Dennis' final resting place so I could talk to him. In all reality, it didn't really matter, though, because I know he would be listening wherever I talked to him. He was always a good listener--a true friend.

I know you have heard this a million times, but--I miss my friend. Thanks for keeping his blog going,

Rob