Saturday, April 3, 2010

2 Years Gone


Dennis' friend Steve here. Mrs. Rich asked if I'd be willing to update his blog. I said I would when I found the strength and had something to say (that was last July).

Dennis has been gone 2 years now, as of Holy Thursday. Since his death, the Triduum has become even more emotional for me, as I'm sure it has for many of you.

That first Triduum after he died I remember thinking warmly about his confirmation, which I had the pleasure of witnessing and the honor of co-sponsoring, and it was one of the highlights of my life. I remember that trip to DC, of praying the Divine Mercy Novena for the first time that year, of making a holistic confession and of talking with Dennis about all of the things he was looking forward to in his life as a Catholic (the Eucharist being chief among them). He was positively glowing that day.

I also remember the sense of the love of God that I had in that week after Dennis left. I attributed it to Dennis' intercession and consider it a great reinforcement of my faith in a time of deep sadness (just like Holy Week itself).

Thursday, my 2 oldest children and I participated in the tradition of visiting Catholic churches after Holy Thursday evening's mass, to spend time with the Lord in the tabernacle and to "keep watch with him" and remember his time of suffering in the Garden of Gethsemene. Every Catholic church is open for visitors until midnight on Holy Thursday, and one of the churches I have visited for years has been St. Dennis in Lockport, a 165 year old stone church sitting up on a hill overlooking rte. 83. I was there this Thursday at the hour of our friend's passing, and was reminded to make a post here on his blog.

The picture that I have uploaded here is from one of our trips to picturesque Mundelein Seminary (which, incidentally, has one of the saddest web pages I've ever seen - this link is to wikipedia, which at least has some information about the place). We would travel there for the periodic "love fest" weekends that Jim Rielley would host. The seminary sits on over 600 wooded acres encircled by a scenic car path with beautiful bridges and comes complete with its own lake. I ran across the picture a few month back, and I have to imagine that Heaven will look very like this.

Dennis, I hope that you are having a blessed Triduum and that you are spending it in the presence of our Savior, and that like your life, in death you may continue to be a beacon of love and friendship with our Lord. I pray continually for your soul and for your family, and ask you to pray for me and mine. And thank you for gifting me with so many years of friendship. It is an honor to have known you. I miss you. -Steve

14 comments:

Renkman said...

Thanks for posting, Steve. I still miss Dennis dearly, but hearing about the experiences he shared with all of us brings back many of the good times I shared with Dennis growing up. He will be forever in our hearts, and for that I am truly grateful.

Mom Rich said...

Thank you, Steve. Dennis enjoyed his trips to Mundelein. Well, really he enjoyed all the times he spent with his friends (and he had so many wonderful friends).

It seems that the past year was more difficult than the first year - he really is gone - I don't get anymore emails (muchless phone calls) from him and he doesn't come home for holidays and just plain visits.

We had our "Easter Tacos" again this year - his idea years ago when I said I just didn't want to make a "Traditional Easter Meal" so he said "Let's have tacos!" It has become our family tradition and everybody gets into the preparation of everything. How fun is that! (Especially for me)

He was so smart - so smart, but he was just Dennis to us. He was a nice, wonderful, caring guy.

God truly gave me wonderful children and I thank Him for each one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Steve. I miss him so very much all the time, but I had a hard time last Thursday. I love the picture!
Just thanks.
jenny

Anonymous said...

I come to this website whenever I need some inspiration. Thanks Steve for posting a story of Dennis here.

Anonymous said...

Well, buddy, LOST has finally said goodbye. I really missed my LOST buddy last night.
love you
always thinking of you
jenny

Dennis Rich said...

Thanks you so much steve fo dis great favour to Unt Rich..

May godbless all fo you.

M too Dennis Rich,n was searching sumthg n got you all into dis..Godbless

Anonymous said...

Dear Friend,

I miss you so much lately.
I want to share with you all that is going on w/ me, but I am sure that you know - that you even knew before I did.
All the same, I miss you and I love you. Thanks for keeping an eye on all of us down here.

Anonymous said...

I still check this every once in a while. Read old posts if I am up for it. I just miss you so very much - sometimes more than others. I guess today, right now is one of those times. All my love and friendship.

Unknown said...

Sure miss you, Dr. D! Please pray for us.

Aunt Pat said...

Today is April 1st, 2011.

Three years and I miss my nephew Dennis as much as ever. I was truly blessed to have had him, his brothers & sister in my life. I thank the Lord for every second, every minute, every laugh, every tear. Karen, Bill, Jim, Nik (Sharon, Karolyn, & Bob)...I love you all & know you must be feeling sad today. I wish I could take the hurt away and erase the empty spot. You are in my heart and prayers always.

And to Dennis' many wonderful friends, thank you all. You meant so very much to him and to the rest of the family. I don't know what they would have done without your love and your support.

Anonymous said...

missin you bro.... big time

Anonymous said...

Been thinkin' of you so much - especially lately. In fact, I still think of you everyday and thought of you all day yesterday. Love you. I wish your family so very much - peace and so many good things. I really miss you and I'm glad that you are free of sickness and pain, but I still cry. I was so lucky to have you for as long as I did.
love you, my dear, dear, friend

MijaMar said...

Thank you, Steve, for keeping this site alive.
There is just so many times we think of you, Dennis. Especially the time before Christmas when you decided to move back home and we met at your apartment just before you left it and I will never forget the green blanket, the scarf, the winter gloves and some other things you handed over to me saying you would not need them anymore but I would surely find some use for them (we still have them all and our son Dominik wore your gloves last winter in dear memory of you). The blanket found a special place, too. Robert drove you to the airport and we were just glad we could be there for you during your last hours of stay in Germany... We luv you and treasure the true friendship we shared. God bless you and your dear family! Your Croatian friends from Bavaria

Joanne Gigli said...

I come to this website whenever I need some inspiration. Thanks Steve for posting a story of Dennis here.