Friday, September 21, 2007

Meet Sebastian

He's my new roommate -- at least for a short while, perhaps permanently, depending on circumstances. Seems my neighbor's new-born little girl, Sierra, has developed a fairly serious allergy to something. Just what, we're not yet sure. But as a precaution, while we're still waiting for the test results, Sebastian is moving in with me. If Sierra's allergies are of something other than cats, he'll head back next door. Otherwise, I'll have a buddy to watch football with. :)

St. Sebastian is an early Christian martyr, about whom very little is known. He is traditionally depicted as a young man bound to a tree, pierced by many arrows. Some time ago, my buddy Dave, moved by the appeal for the virtue of fortitude, gave me a prayer card of St. Sebastian, who is often invoked for healing from physical and spiritual wounds:
O Lord, grant us the spirit of fortitude, so that guided by the example of the martyr St. Sebastian, we may learn to bear witness to the Christian Faith and patiently support the sufferings of life.
God willing, my new roomie can act as a reminder of my need for virtue in general, for fortitude i
n particular. Trying to paraphrase St. Thomas Aquinas (and I invite the correction of those who understand the great saint better than I), fortitude is that habit of the soul which allows us to overcome the fear of death that disables our reason, leading us to despair of our fate. By the willful application of reason against the passivity of my flesh which leads to fear and despair, I am reminded that by faith I believe in the God Who overcame death, and have hope that He will provide for me at my own.

4 comments:

librariane said...

*sigh* Cat allergies stink--I would enjoy a kitty, but Chip's allergies prevent it.

I suppose having parakeets do, too. :D

Z said...

How are you two getting along? Does he like football?

Dennis said...

Still no word from Spencer and Michelle about little Sierra's allergies. She's apparently doing better, but it may just be due to the meds they gave her when she went into the hospital on Friday. Spencer and Michelle both were telling me how much they miss the little guy...good thing they're right next door, and can visit easily enough. :)

Dennis said...

He's still a little shy. There are some moments where he'll come up to me and let me pet him. Other moments where I'll walk into the room and he'll FREAK -- he'll sprint around the room, sliding against the wall or door when the brakes don't work on the smooth floors. Funny. :)

We're getting there, though. Still don't know how much he's into football, though. At least he's no longer hiding under the bed in the spare room.