Friday, October 19, 2007

More on Kreeft

In a recent e-mail sent to a friend, I included the following reflection inspired by reading that book on Heaven, by Peter Kreeft. Seemed worth sharing (after modest editing):

One speculation Kreeft brings out in his book is that in heaven, we will participate -- actually participate -- in the suffering of others on earth. I remember reading that and at first being almost jealous of my suffering -- it's mine, after all. How can anyone else be allowed to learn and grow from them when I was the one forced to suffer through them? And then, of course, with time to reflect, it occurred to me that this would be a good thing. First, for me (always starting selfishly...still starting selfishly...). I have seen or become aware of and become more sympathetic to so much suffering not my own over the past several years. As humans we all share the bond of suffering, though in different ways. I am convinced that this suffering is, ultimately, what shapes us most as human beings. If in heaven I am to be most fully human, it makes sense that I learn from the suffering of others -- I want this for myself. I suspect that if I share in the suffering of another, they do not suddenly become any less the suffering of that other -- I will wear my scars...my battle wounds from cancer...proudly in the next life, as will those who bear "scars" of other sorts, from their unique suffering.
Secondly, we all desire to know and be known, love and be loved. If heaven is where we are truly most happy, it is where we will be most fully known, and where we most fully know.

5 comments:

Steve said...

If heaven is where we are truly most happy, it is where we will be most fully known, and where we most fully know.

Hear hear! The more fully we know, the more fully we love. In order for us to love one another perfectly, heaven must be a place where we know one another perfectly.

Dennis said...

Exactly. This is one of the surprises of Kreeft's book, in my mind. I don't know that I'd ever really considered my relationship with other humans in the next life, but our perfection as humans *must* involve the perfection of our love for one another -- the life of virtue is nothing more or less than this. Virtue is revealed or shaped through our relations with others -- begun in this life, perfected in the next.

Gigi said...

I'm putting this book on my List--sounds like a great read. So much to think about just from your reflections on it. Thanks for discussing it here, guys.

I am wondering if you've looked into Pope JPII's Theology of the Body as it relates to suffering. I think it's called Salivici Doloris. I ran across a blog that discusses it here: http://presterjosh.blogspot.com/2006/11/salvifici-doloris.html
DISCLAIMER: I haven't read it. So, I have no idea it's worth, but there you go. :)

Dennis said...

I keep getting an error when I try to access the Salvici Doloris blog. Can you double check it, Gigi?

Gigi said...

Hmm. Works from here. I did cut and paste into my browser, though...

Let me know if you can get there via cut&paste, and if not, I'll try something else. :)