Sunday, October 7, 2007

Quote of the day

Heaven’s greatest wonder is not miracles but
goodness.
From Peter Kreeft, Everything you ever wanted to know about heaven

I’ve been reading the above book – I’m about half-way through by now. On reading the above assertion, my first thought is, “really?” Wouldn’t I much rather be made healthy than good? Perhaps that is one’s first reaction. But on further thought, I think Kreeft is right. At least, when I consider my life before cancer, I can ask myself, “how much happiness did my health and strength bring me?” On a conscious level? I have to say I very much took it for granted. I suppose now, if I were restored to health, I would be all the more thankful for it, and would therefore be more happy – but that would only be after acquiring wisdom through suffering, that health is fleeting. And so the greater good here – the greater wonder – would not then be my restored health. It would be the wisdom to appreciate it. In the same way, I wonder if wisdom shouldn’t make me happier regardless of my sickness or health. At least, if I understand wisdom correctly – isn’t it something like “knowing what will make me happy, and making choices consistently to pursue and obtain it”? – it should put me on the road to happiness.

In this life, what has made me most happy has been the company of family and valued friends. Contemplation and learning come second (just how distant is hard to say – contemplation and learning with friends and family is the top of the top). The wisdom to appreciate this – more than health or wealth or whatever – is a great gift. The great wonder of heaven, as Kreeft is pointing out, is not so much the absence of pain and suffering and things like this. It is the wisdom to appreciate it, and to enjoy the One who makes it all possible. And so my goals remain the same – not necessarily the return of my health (though certainly I would welcome it), but the advent of virtue, particularly wisdom, in my soul.

4 comments:

Steve said...

You're finally reading it! I feel like I just got my tickets to the Bozo show or something!!

:D

Gigi said...

Ah, yes. Spending time in the valley so you will appreciate the peak--something we Cubs fans know well. ;) Oh, wait. You're a Sox fan, aren't you? Um...Go Bears!

Seriously, though, Good Stuff, Dennis. I do enjoy your blog. :)

Dennis said...

Yes, still a White Sox fan. And my perpetual prediction still holds -- first made in the fall of '89 (renewed in November of '05), as the Sox were in last and the Cubs on their way to the play-offs: the Sox will win another World Series before the Cubs do.

Still remember my freshman year college roommate crying after the Cubs got bonked that year. Does it make me a bad person that I still laugh at this?

Dennis said...

As for the book, it's been on the shelf since you recommended it. Seemed a good time to read it. Please don't anyone take this as "defeatism" in any way...I fight as I must as long as I am able. But I want to have something to look forward to.