Thursday, October 25, 2007

Quote of the day

There is cause for rejoicing here. You may for a time have to suffer the distress of many trials; but this is so that your faith, which is more precious than the passing splendor of fire-tried gold, may by its genuineness lead to praise, glory, and honor when Jesus Christ appears. Although you have never seen him, you love him, and without seeing you now believe in him, and rejoice with inexpressible joy touched with glory because you are achieving faith's goal, your salvation.
I Peter 1:6-9. The reading from tonight's Evening Prayer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

365 Tao, by Deng Ming-Dao,

"Without the difficulty of being hemmed in, the tree in the forest would not be forced to marshal its power to grow toward the light. It must truly bring forth all its inner strength to spread its branches. If it becomes grand, it is in part because of its suffering. Thus the times of adversity can be crucial to the development of one's inner personality."

Dennis said...

Ooooh, good one, mom. Where'd you dig that one up? Here's hoping that at the end of these continued struggles, we're allowed to see what I've become. I trust God has some design for my life, whether in my healing or in my continued illness...but I sure pray that his design includes allowing the world to see the fruit of this suffering in my life.